The Consumer Protection from Unfair Trading Regulations mean you cannot mislead or harass consumers by, for example:
- including false or deceptive messages
- leaving out important information
- using aggressive sales techniques
- making misleading comparisons with competitor products
- using a competitor’s logo or trademark
Specific claims used to promote a product can have regulatory and legal consequences also. For instance, some specific claims about quality need to be offically verified, and can be looked at as illegal misrepresentation.
Return to intellectual property law glossary here.