Whilst much of Waterfront’s legal expertise can apply to all industry sectors, we do have particular experience in certain specific industries. This experience is a real benefit to our clients because it saves them explaining every detail, which in turn saves time. Familiarity with an industry’s usual practices, for example, when negotiating a common contract within that industry, can also help a matter progress a lot more smoothly than it otherwise might.
Click on the industry sectors below for more information or contact our solicitors in London today and speak to one of our experts.
Life Sciencesfind out more >
Waterfront acts for a number of life science clients. Particular areas of expertise include generic pharmaceuticals and agrochemicals. In the field of agro-chemicals that expertise extends beyond intellectual property exploitation and protection to regulatory assistance.
Cases in which members of our team have been involved include:
- Challenging and advising clients on how to challenge the decisions of the UK and European regulatory bodies in the agrochemical sector.
- Appearing on behalf of an undisclosed client in the High Court of Pfizer Health AB and others v Schwarz Pharma AG and others, so as to make a successful application for disclosure of documents from the file of the High Court in relation to patent litigation to which Pfizer was a party.
- Acting for a number of agrochemical companies in patent disputes in relation to their products both in Europe and elsewhere. All of these disputes have been satisfactorily resolved for the clients.
Defending contractual and misrepresentation claims brought by one agrochemical company against another.
- Advising on the acquisitions of several companies operating in the fertiliser and farming data markets.
find out more >
Engineeringfind out more >
Waterfront has specialist knowledge of the legal issues affecting the engineering industry. We have particular expertise in assisting engineering companies protect, exploit, enforce and defend the intellectual property rights, which subsist in their business.
Examples of our team’s experience in engineering related work include:
- Acting for an engineering firm to enforce its design rights in several products to stop a competitor manufacturing and offering for sale products that infringed our client’s designs.
- Working with an engineering design company to draft and put in place agreements with their manufacturers to ensure that our client’s intellectual property rights in the product designs were sufficiently protected to ensure that the manufacturers could not market the designs themselves or manufacture them other than for our client, together with ensuring that the manufacturer would provide sufficient assurances in relation to quality.
- Advising an engineering firm looking to launch a new product on whether it would infringe the intellectual property in a competitor’s product.
- As an intellectual property law firm, we've acted for engineering companies to draft and negotiate in North Sea engineering in defending patent litigation proceedings all the way to the Court of Appeal. See our intellectual property lawyers page for more details.
- Acting for the owner of innovative plastic cells roofing technology in patent claims brought against building developers.
- Drafting supply and manufacturing agreements for clients developing machinery in the construction and fitness sectors.
Acting for an engineering company to draft and negotiate an intellectual property assignment and licence agreement with a freelance designer on a joint project.
Our team has a thorough understanding of the issues facing engineering companies throughout their life cycle and has also acted for a range of companies and individuals in adjacent sectors.
Please contact our expert engineering team on 020 7234 0200 for your free initial chat.
IT and Technology Solicitors in Londonfind out more >
IT and Technology Solicitors in London
We offer expert legal advice for tech companies of all sizes. Our specialist technology and IT lawyers have a wealth of experience to help with your legal requirements.
At Waterfront Solicitors, we appreciate the importance of IT law, which is why we strive to provide the best representation and protection available. We endeavour to bring unrivalled experience in assisting our clients in situations where they have an unequal bargaining power, enabling them to successfully manage their legal risks and maximise revenue.
Our IT solicitors are committed to providing a consistently exceptional legal advisory service to tech companies based in both London and all over the UK. As we have grown over the years, so has our client base; and we now serve a wide range of businesses, ranging from start-ups, to SMEs, to individual creators, to large multinational companies.
What can our IT Lawyers help you with?
Our excellent team of IT solicitors specialise in helping clients protect their product, negotiate their contracts and defend their rights. Our expertise covers the entire spectrum of IT and technology law and practise. Specifically, our clients can benefit from the following:
- Government body advice – we can advise a government body on the provision of its data via cloud services and also help with the drafting and negotiation of the necessary contracts with technology providers.
- Software provider contracts - we assist software providers with contract negotiations across a range of sectors. Many of our clients operate in the FinTech space, so we have regular dealings with major banks and financial service providers.
- EULAs (End User License Agreements) – we help with the assembly of EULA software service agreements, development agreements, support and maintenance agreements, channel partner agreements and managed service agreements.
- Contract disputes – our team of solicitors can confidently handle contract disputes and litigation, covering the whole spectrum of IT law, specifically regarding non-payment of fees and/or early termination, and also disputes relating to the ownership of intellectual property. (See our intellectual property solicitors page for more details).
- Data protection – our data protection lawyers offer professional advice on how to securely protect business data and digitalised information, as well as cloud support.
- Internet law/website advice – our IT lawyers instruct clients on how to protect their online assets including websites.
- E-commerce – if your company supplies an e-commerce service, we can appropriately guide you on compliance with consumer contracts ( Information, Cancellation and Additional Charger) Regulations 2013 and the Consumer Rights Act 2015.
Why Waterfront Solicitors?
We are very proud of our experience with and understanding of technology and IT law and it remains, as it always has, the key industry to which we provide advice and legal representation.
If your IT legal requirements coincide with Intellectual Property Law, we can utilise our knowledge and expertise to provide you with the best possible legal support. Our IP law firm has featured in prestigious legal directories such as the Legal 500 and Chambers and Partners for a number of years, have achieved a highly impressive track record in delivering clients successful results. We also have expertise in Commercial Law, Corporate Law and Employment Law.
Furthermore, we are aware that lawyers are often accused of being too formal, abrasive, aggressive, slow or simply just too painful to deal with. At Waterfront Solicitors, our IT lawyers aim to strike the right balance between being driven and tough when protecting your interests and demonstrating strong inter-personal skills. We always strive to provide the highest levels of customer service but we want you to be relaxed and comfortable in our company.
Quick, Easy, Reliable and Professional Legal Support
We appreciate that obtaining fully legitimate legal protection for your IT/tech assets can be a very stressful, time-consuming affair. Our IT solicitors, on the other hand, will ensure this process is as simple and painless as possible. Our IT lawyers are highly trained and experienced to handle your case in the most professional manner, ensuring for a positive outcome that will significantly benefit you and your company.
If your IT/Technology business is in need of sound legal protection and support, please contact Waterfront Solicitors on 020 7234 0200.
For further information on our range of services, from software licence agreements to intellectual property law please feel free to contact our IT and Technology lawyers today. We also provide legal expertise for a number of different industries and business contexts including corporate lawyers in London.
If you are interested in intellectual property law and other areas of law, be sure to check out our blog.find out more >
Food and Drinkfind out more >
Food and Drink
We act for a range of clients operating in the food and drink sector, from chocolatiers to major kitchen appliance brands.
We have specific expertise in intellectual property issues in the food and drink industry sector, including relating to clearance searches and advice, licences and other commercial agreements. We are particularly well known for our specialist ip lawyers' knowledge knowledge and previous work on intellectual property disputes and litigation in respect of the food and drink sector.
Recent examples of our work include:
- Acting for a leading manufacturer and distributor of confectionary products in a trade mark enforcement programme relating to unauthorised packaging of trade-marked products.
- Acting for a multinational distributor of energy drinks in a multi-jurisdictional trade mark dispute.
- Acting for a multinational pharmaceutical company in a series of trade mark disputes relating to a range of branded nutritional supplements.
- Advising on corporate matters, including investments and shareholders agreements, for specialist beer retailers and producers of high end ready meals.
- Drafting supply and manufacturing agreements and terms of sale for businesses ranging from smoothie and fruit tea manufacturers to online supperclub communities.
find out more >
For reliable advice in the food and drink sector please contact our expert team for your free initial chat.
Fashion and Luxury Goodsfind out more >
Fashion and Luxury Goods
Waterfront has an expert knowledge and understanding of the fashion and luxury goods industry and the legal issues affecting it. We have particular expertise in assisting fashion and luxury goods companies to protect, enforce and defend the intellectual property rights that subsist in their products.
Our experience in technology means we are well-equipped to assist those working in the wearable technologies and FashTech sectors, advising on the development of applications for new devices, protecting the IPR in new products when working with designers and manufacturers and drafting commercial agreements which govern the supply and sale of products once brought to market.
Examples of our recent fashion and luxury goods work include:
- Acting for a boutique brand to successfully defend an unregistered design infringement claim made by a luxury goods manufacturer.
- Advising in relation to the proposed use of intellectual property with the help of our IP legal advisors, including trade marks, by an investor in a fashion company. You can contact our expert trademark lawyers in the event you need to make or defend a claim.
- Advising on an investment deal which saw two existing fashion names create a new collaborative fashion brand through a joint venture company.
- Acting for a fashion brand owner who was looking to expand into a new territory through an agent. Advising the fashion brand owner on the implication of an e-commerce website and the conditions necessary to ensure the integrity of the brand.
- Advising high street retailer H&M on HR and employment matters.
- Drafting terms of business for bespoke furniture designers and jewellery retailers
- Advising on the management buyout of a leading UK fashion private sales website, with backing from private investors.
find out more >
Our team has a thorough understanding of the issues facing the fashion and luxury goods industry from new designers to established brands and labels. The Waterfront team has also acted for other individuals and companies within the industry including photographers, models and retailers.
If you would like a chat with our expert team, please contact our fashion & goods team.
Video Games and Appsfind out more >
Video Games and Apps
Video games and apps make up an important part of Waterfront’s IT and technology sector. We enjoy working with a mix of innovative clients in an industry that is constantly expanding and evolving as a result of the constant developments in new technology and devices.
Waterfront has assisted a number of developers and designers on a range of issues, including:
- App development agreements – setting out the development process, acceptance testing and responsibilities for submission to app-stores.
- Terms and conditions of use – setting out the rights and restrictions on use of the App, advice on compatibility with app-store terms and additional advice on gaining valid acceptance of the terms by users.
- OEM partner agreements – involving the integration of technology into apps, restrictions on use.
The interactive entertainment world is hitting new heights as the range of devices games can be played on continues to grow.
Whether you’re a start up, established indie or major development studio, Waterfront can help with all your contractual requirements, including:
- Development agreements - have you been approached about developing a game on behalf of a publisher or do you have an idea for a game that you want to pursue? You’ll need an agreement to manage the relationship, from the quality of the work, payment terms, ownership of IP and termination.
- Sub-contractor agreements – if you’ve taken on additional developers or other contractors, you’ll need contracts setting out timescales for deliverables, payment and most importantly, you'll also require an intellectual property law firm to determine IP ownership and plan ahead for any potential issues that arise..
- Non-disclosure agreements – are you pitching your idea to investors or publishers? An NDA may help keeping the idea confidential prior to any further contracts being signed.
- Publishing agreements – has a major publisher approached you about distributing your game? Retaining IP is the key to your studios survival and growth. Developers being forced to give up IP is no longer the norm, but your contracts need to accurately reflect that and our copyright solicitors are happy to assist.
find out more >
Do you need some more help? our technology lawyers have a wealth of experience and expertise to assist you, including support in niche industries and resolving sensitive issues with the help of our intellectual property solicitors. Contact us to find out more. Contact us for a free initial chat about games and apps.
Consumer Goodsfind out more >
Waterfront has particular expertise in assisting companies that provide goods, services and digital content to consumers to fulfil their obligations under e-commerce and consumer goods regulations, and to protect, exploit, enforce and defend the intellectual property rights which subsist in their products.
Examples of our recent work for designers, producers and retailers of consumer products include:
- Acting for Kenwood, the kitchen appliance manufacturer, in several trade mark litigation actions at both the English High Court and the General Court of the European Union.
- Working with a consumer goods manufacturer to make an application to UK Customs to enable counterfeit goods to be seized by customs officers when attempting to enter the UK and other selected European countries.
- Acting for a manufacturer of generic consumer goods to defend a complex intellectual property infringement claim from a brand owner.
- Acting for an online retailer in relation to a program of trade mark infringement actions against “copycat” companies with the help of our IP solicitors.
- Working with local lawyers across Europe and in Asia to co-ordinate a brand enforcement strategy, stopping sales and manufacture of counterfeit products at source.
- Negotiating with Trading Standards on behalf of an online consumer goods retailer to agree appropriate sale terms and conditions which adequately managed our client’s risks while complying with applicable best practice and law in consumer contracts.
- Drafting website terms for retailers selling products to consumers, ranging from jewellery to tiles to online training materials.
- Performing website audits, to assess whether order processes and information made available to consumers complies with relevant consumer laws and advising on practical measures for compliance.
Our team has worked with consumer goods companies from start ups to FTSE 100 companies, and with a range of roles within the sector including retailers, manufacturers, designers and suppliers to bring depth and breadth to our understanding of this complex sector.
For a free initial chat, please call our corporate lawyers in London and contact our consumer goods experts on 020 7234 0200.
Advertising and Marketingfind out more >
Advertising and Marketing
Waterfront has specific expertise acting for clients in the area of advertising and marketing. Increasingly, this intersects with our technology capabilities with the rise of advertising and marketing technology solutions (or AdTech). We work for advertising and marketing agencies, including those focused on digital and mobile platforms.
Specifically, we routinely act for clients in the following areas:
- Regulatory issues, often involving the Advertising Standards Authority’s Codes of Advertising Practice, both broadcast and non-broadcast.
- Drafting commercial agreements relating to marketing and advertising, including sponsorship agreements, competition terms and conditions, and content licensing agreements.
- Advertising and marketing disputes.
- Advising on legal compliance concerning marketing and advertising communications, including advice on how to comply with data protection legislation.
- Trade mark protection, disputes and clearance.
- As an IP law firm, we advise on the use of third-party intellectual property rights in advertising and marketing communications. See our specialist IP lawyers page for more details.
Our approach is to help our clients efficiently navigate the legal and regulatory landscape, to ensure that clients can concentrate on their advertising and marketing campaigns and not become involved in costly and protracted legal disputes. However, if a dispute does arise, you can rely on us to take a “pragmatic approach and provide valuable advice succinctly and efficiently” (Legal 500).
find out more >
Website Terms and Conditionsfind out more >
Website Terms and Conditions
Website Terms and Conditions are an online contract. They set out the basis on which a Website owner allows users to view and use their website.
No two websites are exactly the same. So every website owner needs to ensure that their own Website Terms and Conditions work for their specific website.
At a basic level, most websites provide information of some kind to users (often called "brochure-ware"). Other websites offer a platform for users to submit content, such as comments or pictures, and to interact with other users. On e-commerce websites, users can purchase goods or services and pay online. Often, websites will combine all of the above.
A good set of Website Terms and Conditions is very clear and provides you with customised protection for the features and functionality of your specific website. Using a generic template, or (worse) copying someone else’s Terms and Conditions, could mean that your terms don’t provide the right protection for you. If you don’t have the right protection, then you can’t always control what users do to and with your website.
How can we help?
We offer a no-cost, no-obligation consultation to discuss your requirements. Give us a call or email us through our website to tell us about your Website. We’ll provide you with some initial feedback and let you know how we can help ensure your Website Terms and Conditions provide you with the proper level of protection.find out more >